northern mindanao

DOH-10 chief says no to Ivermectin

September 21, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - A top-ranking official of the Department of Health regional office 10 (DOH-10) has strongly opposed the human use of Ivermectin anti-parasitic drug, to treat coronavirus-infected patients. This, even as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already given a go-signal to third party hospitals to start using Ivermectin, a drug specially formulated for animals, saying the use of said drug to treat covid patients has no proof and specific evidence. The idea of using Ivermectin to treat covid-19 patients came out after several people claimed they were treated and cured of Covid-19 after they used the said Ivermectin drug. But Doctor Llacuna in a press briefing claimed that there is no proof and specific evidence that patients were cured after using the "animal drug"   Dr. Jose R. Llacuna Jr, regional director of the Department of Health (DOH)-10, said he is not recommending the use of said drug because Ivermectin is formulated only for animals and not for human consumption, as a drug to cure illnesses from virus infections.   There is no sufficient evidence, Llacuna said, that could prove that said drug can actually cure the deadly coronavirus disease and its dangerous mutations. Director Llacuna claimed that last year based on the Philippine COVID-19 Living CPG reviewers of the UP-NIH and ICE, as well as the panel representative DOH-FDA, PMA, PCP, PAFP, POGS, PCEM, PSGIM, PCCP, PSPHP, and PSMID official statement early this year—regarding the use of Ivermectin for treatment of COVID 19 The DOH official said that further study of the Cochrane research group reportedly showed Ivermectin failed to reduce deaths happening in many regions in the country. Cochrane, the DOH official said, is a global independent network of researchers, professionals, patients, caregivers, and people interested in health. Meanwhile, Dr Eric Domingo of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already announced and given a go-signal for third party hospitals to use Ivermectin to help treat the covid-19 victims. FDA GO SIGNAL Earlier, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported that a third party hospital has been granted a compassionate special permit (CSP) to use Ivermectin anti-parasitic drug for the treatment of the deadly virus coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)   FDA Director-General Eric Domingo, during the House committee hearing on good government and public accountability, said the facility received the permit to use the veterinary drug and treat their patients contracted with the deadly virus. Domingo said: “Sa ngayon po mayroon pa pong na-approve na isang hospital." According to Domingo the CSP permit only allows the approved hospitals for one year and gives authorization to their doctors to administer the Ivermectin to treat covid patients.    

READ MORE
Tangub Mayor declares 'No Movement Saturdays'

September 13, 2021

TANGUB CITY - As the deadly coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) has continued attacking different areas in Mindanao by contracting the unmindful residents, a top official of the city has declared "No Movement Saturdays." City Mayor Jennifer Tan signed Executive Order 234, series of 2021, officially declaring "No Movement Saturdays" purposely to contain the virus from spreading fast. Mayor Tan was alarmed when the deadly virus contraction has reached a record high of 120 cases in a single day. The mayor's EO mandated the public to refrain from going outside their respective houses and to avoid non-essential gatherings, except for members of the family who are allowed to buy food and medicines. The order also exempted medical frontliners, as well as those obligated to work on Saturdays, including the emergency responders. A fine of P1,000 for the first offense, plus a day in jail will be meted against those who will be caught defying the executive order duly signed by Mayor Tan. For the second offense, a fine of P2,000 plus three days in jail; and a fine of P5,000 and 10-day imprisonment for the third offense. The order temporarily suspended religious gatherings, but it allowed public transportation to continue operating. Provided, however, that operators shall follow stricter rules of the provincial government of Misamis Occidental; and the passenger vehicles plying the road will be in a reduced capacity. Meanwhile, the City Government has earlier inaugurated a 35-bed isolation facility in response to the increasing number of residents who have contracted the deadly coronavirus disease. The Covid-19 isolation facility, located in Barangay Maloro, was named "Project Anchorage" by the City Government. Mayor Tan said the 35-bed capacity isolation facility has nine rooms intended for families and couples, while the rest of the rooms with comfortable beds are also equipped with a tiled comfort room, an air-conditioning unit, water, kettle, water dispenser, radio monitor, Cable TV, and Wi-Fi. She said the "Anchorage" is considered a resort hotel concept design being near to the beach, and the ambiance is just like people living there are on "staycation." "Mental health is very important in the success rate of survival of Covid-19,” the mayor pointed out. - PNA  

READ MORE
2 suspects arrested in shabu raid in Lanao Norte; P7 Million worth of suspected shabu seized

March 15, 2021

DRUGS CONFISCATED, SUSPECTS ARRESTED   PANTAR, Lanao del Norte - Joint operatives of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency based in Cagayan de Oro (PDEA-10), National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and Pantar town policemen in Lanao del Norte, arrested Saturday (March 13) two suspects during an entrapment operation.   PDEA-10 identified the suspects as Macmac Comadug, 40, resident of Marawi City, and his companion Jasmine Sa-id, 21, a native of Sultan Naga Dimaporo, this province. PDEA said 1 kilogram of the illegal drug known as shabu were confiscated during the raid which caught the suspects by surprise. The confiscated 'shabu' according to the joint raiding team was worth almost Seven Million Pesos (P7-M). "Ang atong nadakpan sa atong operation duha ka buok.Usa ka baye ug usa ka lake.Ug atong na confiscate sa ila, more or else, 1 kilogram of shabu with a market value of P6.8 Million Pesos," reports a PDEA agent to a local radio station here. Imvestigations disclosed the suspects were subjected to surveillance for many months after operatives have received information the suspects were allegedly involved in illegal drug operations in the province and other nearby areas. A PDEA operative said the suspected illegal drug may have come from Maguing town, Lanao del Sur. Meanwhile, one of the arrested suspects challenged the raiding team to clearly verify their information that he was involved in illegal drug operations in the province. Comadug denied reports he was into peddling of the suspected shabu. Comadug insisted he has no knowledge that there were illegal drugs inside his vehicle which was also confiscated by the raiding team. He said he was only asked to ferry Jasmine to Pantar town and he didn't know of any drug transaction would happen. "Wala po, wala ho akong alam. Sana malaman nila yung totong side ko na wala ho akong alam.Di ko alam yung mga ganyang bagay. Yun lang po," the suspect Comadug said. The two suspects are now languishing at PDEA-10 mini cell awaiting charges for violation of Article II of RA 9165. A drug case will be filed in court against the arrested suspects. - (JCE)

READ MORE
2 Top NPA Commanders Surrender in Bukidnon

March 13, 2021

HIGH-RANKING NPA REBELS SURRENDER   MALAYBALAY CITY, Bukidnon – Due to too much hardships and difficulty living in far-flung areas in Bukidnon province, two of the most-wanted commanders of the New People's Army (NPA) rebels surrendered  to  the 403rd Infantry Brigade in Barangay Manalog, Malaybalay City, on March 11, 2021.   Fourth Infantry Division Commander Maj General Andres Centino identified the surrenderees as Armando Daluniag alias "Ka Ambo," commanding officer of Force Neo Headquarters based in Northern and Central Mindanao; and Roland Lagunday alias "Ka Ben," Squad Leader, Squad 2, Platoon 2, also in the same village in Manalog. The two rebels also surrendered assorted firearms such as four M16 armalite rifles, three AK47 rifles, two M653 rifles, and live amunitions.  In an interview with a local radio station here, Daluniag said aside from hardlife being in the underground movement, he was also inspired to surrender due to the sincerity of President Rodrigo Duterte in giving chances to the NPA rebels to go back to the mainstream society and enjoy their freedom. President Duterte was in Cagayan de Oro last week to promote the new programs of the National Government especially-designed to all NPA rebels who have plans to surrender their firearms and ammos and to live a normal life again.   Meanwhile, Ka Ambo narrated that he joined the revolutionary movement 20 years ago in the hopes that the movement will help his family. But contrary to what he believes, Ka Ambo says, the revolutionary movement has failed him.   In 20 years that "Ka Ambo" was with the NPA rebels, he says, he has accumulated around 29 string of criminal cases filed against him.  Five other comrades of the top-ranking NPA officials also surrendered on the same day, it was learned. ###     

READ MORE
Iligan’s sole infectious disease specialist receives first COVID-19 vaccine jab

March 9, 2021

ILIGAN CITY--Dr. Leonell Albert Quitos, the city’s sole infectious disease specialist, received the first authorized COVID-19 vaccine dose in Iligan Monday morning, March. 8      Quitos volunteered to take the first coronavirus shot to show the public that the vaccine is safe.       “During vaccination, wala gyud koy na feel. Gamay ang dagom og maayo ang handling ug pag administer sa nurse,”he said      [During vaccination, I didn’t feel anything, The needle was small and the nurse handled and administered it well.]      In response to those expressing apprehensions about getting an anti-COVID shot, the infectious disease specialist assured that he did not feel any side effects after the vaccination.       “Dili ta mahadlok sa pagpabakuna kay kini nga pagpabakuna kay dugang nga layer of protection sa atoa. Aside sa minimum health standards sama sa wearing of mask og face shields, social distancing, paghugas sa kamot, kining pagpabakuna another ni nga layer of protection sa ato-a nga tanan,” he further said.      [We should not be afraid to get vaccinated because this vaccination is an additional layer of protection for us. Aside from our minimum health standards such as wearing a mask and face shields, social distancing, and handwashing, this vaccination is another layer of protection for all of us.      Moreover, Quitos urged other frontliners to follow suit and get vaccinated.      “Akong panawagan sa akong mga kauban nga frontliners, magpabakuna ta para protektado dili lang ang inyong kaugalingon pati na pud ang inyong mga pamilya o ang mga tawong kauban ninyo tanan,” he said.      [I call on my fellow frontliners to get vaccinated to protect not only yourself but also your families or the people around you.]       The first batch of the vaccine rollout in the city is held simultaneously at the Adventist Medical Center Iligan and DoñaJuana A. Lluch Memorial Central School starting today until Wednesday, March 10. (APB/PIA-ICIC)

READ MORE
Imee: U.S. Dapat Lang Magbayad ng Patas sa Paggamit sa PH Military Bases

February 24, 2021

  Idinepensa ni Senador Imee Marcos ang paninindigan ni Pangulong Duterte na karapat-dapat lang magbayad ng patas ng U.S. sa Pilipinas dahil sa delikadong papel nito sa pagbibigay ng unang depensa sa Amerika sa Indo-Pacific region.  “Hindi lang nabibigyan ng Pilipinas ang American forces ng unang depensa sa Indo-Pacific region kundi pati paggamit nila sa tubig at kuryente sa ating mga military bases ay binabayaran din natin,” ani Marcos. “Napakaraming Pilipino ang hindi kayang magbayad sa tubig at kuryente ngayong may pandemya. Itutuloy pa rin ba ang subsidiya sa mga Amerikano? Tanong ni Marcos, sabay banggit sa U.S. military benefits na nakasaad sa Article 7 ng Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA). Isinulong muli ni Marcos ang pagsuri sa EDCA dahil napapaikutan ng Amerika ang prohibisyon sa ating Konstitusyon sa mga foreign military bases sa bansa. Dagdag ni Marcos, ang dating bayad sa ating gobyerno bago mapaalis ang mga U.S. bases halos tatlong dekada nang nakaraan ay naiiwasan din ng Amerika.     “Kahit ang mga superpower nangangailangan din ng mga kaibigan, at ang bagong pagtingin ng Amerika sa Asia-Pacific ay nagpapatibay sa malaking ginagampanan ng ating rehiyon at ng Pilipinas,” ani ni Marcos, bilang sagot sa batikos kay Presidente Duterte na ang paghingi ng patas na bayad ay pangingikil. Sumang-ayon ang senadora sa Presidente na ang $3.9 bilyon na ibinabayad ng Amerika sa Pilipinas noong 2001 hanggang 2017 ay napakaliit kumpara sa $16 bilyon na ibinabayad sa Pakistan. “Natatakot ang Amerika na kapag bumagsak ang gobyerno ng Pakistan, ang 150 nuclear warheads nito ay magagamit ng Taliban laban sa Amerika,” ani Marcos. “Kung wala ang Pilipinas, ang kalakal ng Amerika pati na ang mga pangako nito sa seguridad ng rehiyon ay hihina. Ngunit dahil sa pagtanggap natin sa U.S. forces, magiging target naman ang Pilipinas ng mga kalaban ng Amerika, kahit hindi tayo direktang kasali sa anumang gyera na maaring pumutok sa ating rehiyon,” dagdag ni Marcos.  “Kung susugurin ng China ang Taiwan dahil sa pagsulong nito ng independence, hindi gaano magiging mabilis ang pag-responde ng Amerika dahil manggagaling pa ng Japan, South Korea, Guam o Australia ang mga pwersa ng military nito,” paliwanag ni Marcos.  Dagdag pa ni Marcos, maaring gamitin ng Amerika ang mga human rights issues upang tawaran sa isang isyu na dapat pang-seguridad lamang.  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.