caraga region

Surigao Sur’s anti-illegal fishing ops net P496-K gears, products

May 18, 2020

BUTUAN CITY – Anti-illegal fishing operations in Surigao del Sur have already netted a total of PHP496,335 in marine products and illegal fishing gear in the last four months, a police official said Monday.     From January 1 to May 8 this year, 69 persons have been arrested in 30 operations in the province for violating the country’s fisheries laws, said Col. James T. Goforth, director of Surigao del Sur Provincial Police Office (SDSPPO).     “Part of our mandate is to support the implementation of local laws, to include fishing regulations by local government units (LGUs) and national decrees of fisheries in our fishing ground,” Goforth said.     Goforth said the protection of the marine resources and providing support to measures to preserve the fishing grounds in the province of Surigao del Sur is among the priorities of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in the area.     “Some of these operations were conducted during the lockdowns. There were fishers that continue to engage in illegal fishing during the quarantine period but our police stations managed to monitor them,” the police official said.     The most number of operations were conducted in the town of Lingig with a total of seven that resulted in the arrest of 11 persons and the confiscation of PHP86,010 worth of fishing paraphernalia and marine products.     Five operations were also conducted in the town of Cortes that led to the arrest of 19 persons and the seizure of PHP176,870 worth of fishing gear and marine products. In Lianga town, three operations resulted in the arrest of nine persons and the impounding of PHP44,000 fishing devices and marine products.     In San Agustin municipality, police said a total of PHP95,400 worth of paraphernalia and marine products were confiscated during the conduct of one operation that nabbed three illegal fishers.     The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources in the Caraga Region  (BFAR-13) has identified four fishing grounds as main sources of marine products in Surigao del Sur, namely the Hinatuan Passage, Lanuza Bay, Hinatuan Bay, and Bislig Bay.     BFAR said the identified fishing grounds are part of the study and evaluation conducted by the agency in its National Stock Assessment Program (NSAP) early this year, which indicated an 80 percent sufficiency rate of marine resources in the Caraga Region.     Goforth underscored the importance of information from residents in the area, which helped the police monitor illegal fishing activities in the province.     “Last year, we were able to confiscate more than PHP2 million worth of illegal fishing gears and marine products in series of operations,” Goforth said.     Data provided by SDSPPO said a total of 129 police operations against illegal fishing were conducted in the province last year that resulted in the arrest of 371 persons.     A total of PHP2,553,150 worth of illegal fishing gears and marine products were confiscated in 2019. (PNA)

READ MORE
Army conducts Loudspeaker Operations and Leaflets Distribution in Surigao Sur

April 13, 2020

BISLIG CITY, Surigao del Sur-Camp Jaime N Ferrer Sr., Brgy Maharlika, Bislig City (Stn) – The 75th Infantry "Marauder" Battalion conducted mobile loudspeaker operation and leaflets distribution in Bislig City, Surigao del Sur on April 09, 2020.             In line with the declaration of ceasefire, the government focused its efforts and resources in addressing the pandemic crisis caused by the Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19). The unit conducted loudspeaker operations to exploit the situation in favor of the government and advance the campaign against the Communist NPA Terrorists (CNTs) within the unit Area of Responsibility (AOR). Likewise, the troops distributed fifty (50) pieces of leaflets on Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP) of the government and 50 pcs leaflets information on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19.             Army's loudspeaker operation is instrumental as it conveys factual information reminding the people and the community regarding the importance of taking precautionary measures such as social distancing, staying at home, eating healthy foods, and proper hygiene and sanitation to avoid the spread of COVID-19.             The loudspeaker operation was first employed during the Zamboanga siege and Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013, and Marawi siege in 2017 aimed at providing correct information to the people, particularly during the time of crisis.             Further, the loudspeaker operations with the recorded voice message of the former rebel, expressed out that we should all unite and cooperate with the government to overcome the global health crisis that we are facing right now, and to condemn the brutal activities perpetrated by the CNT's despite of the ceasefire.             Lieutenant Colonel Warren C Munda, Commanding Officer of 75IB, assured the security and safety of the populace in the AOR and strictly implement the mandate of the local Inter-Agency Task Force to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our AOR.             Informing the community of the correct information on how to avoid getting infected from COVID-19 will lessen their worries and fear. Thus, everyone can contribute in preventing the spread of COVID-19 by just staying at home with their families until such time the government will lift the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) in the country.  

READ MORE
CNT Surrenderees receive financial aid amid COVID-19 in Surigao Town

April 13, 2020

Surigao Del Sur yesterday. The awarding held in municipal hall was led by San Miguel Mayor Hazel H. Elizalde with Captain Julius James A. Gabaran, Commanding Officer of 7th Special Forces “Spartans” Company, 3rd Special Forces “Arrowhead” Battalion (3SFBn). Mayor Elizalde urged the surrenderees, who are also San Miguel’s constituents, not to put to waste the government’s support for them and not to go back to in the CNTs’ useless and pointless violent armed struggle that ruined their lives and families. The surrenderees, who belonged to the weakened guerilla front19, decry hunger, corruption of terrorist leaders, violence and the ruthless killings of the CNTs to defenseless and innocent civilians who go against their ways as the reasons for their surrender. This cash aid from the LGU will greatly help them in this time of crisis where employment and economic activity is severely affected due to regional lockdowns and enhanced quarantine control measures to prevent the spread of the virus. The 3SFBn Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Joey B Baybayan (INF) PA expressed his gratitude for the all-out support of the San Miguel LGU in advocating the peaceful surrender through this kind of cash-aid program as a reward for those who chooses the path to peace. The Surigao Del Sur Province has declared the Communist NPA Terrorist personalities as persona-non-grata including the Municipality of San Miguel and its barangays. The declaration of persona non-grata greatly affected the CNTs as many informants pointed out the whereabouts of CNT personalities who fell behind bars through AFP-PNP law enforcement support operations. The AFP-PNP vows to implement more law enforcement operations despite COVID-19 crisis to further prevent criminal and CNTs’ terror attacks in their respective areas of responsibility.

READ MORE
Village councilwoman cooks vegetable to quarantined neighnorhood

April 12, 2020

SAN FRANCISCO, Agusan del Sur--- Instead of canned goods and instant noodles as relief packs for Covid-19 quarantined villagers, a barangay kagawad (village councilwoman) in Prosperidad town have been distributing healthy cooked vegetables she and her cousins delivered in every home since April 8. Barangay Kagawad Joan Martensen Borja, in the village of New Maug was moved upon seeing many of her neighbors eating only ginamos (fermented anchovies) as their viands that drove her to cook the popular law-oy (vegetable stew)  equally packed in cellophane bags and shared it to some 100 households on the first day of their relief mission. The idea of giving away cooked vegetables flicked on her mind when she saw two young girls selling squash, string beans and eggplants passed her house and bought all the produce amounting to P500. “I was a bit bored staying at home for days when the two girls came peddling vegetables harvested by their father who is a peasant of a small farm,” said the good-looking and jolly village councilwoman who was elected in 2018. With the help of her male cousins and neighbors, Borja cooked ginataang gulay ( vegetable dish cooked with coconut milk) on the second day of their food relief efforts covering another 100 homes of Purok 2. Her good deeds draw the attention of a nurse of a government hospital who saw her photos on her Facebook page and offered to donate a van load of vegetables from Esperanza town so she could continue her food sharing initiative. On Saturday, the vegetables promised by the donor came and it was aplenty that it could last for three days. The nurse asked not to be identified and requested her to pixelate his face if ever she would post the photos in the social media. If she had her way, Borja wanted to continue distributing the vegetable dishes until the Covid-19 crisis will be over but that will depend when she still can afford on her budget and more good Samaritans will help in her modest project. Borja has been on online business getting brisk sales which subsided at the height of the Covid outbreak.

READ MORE
Chowking, Army Serve Meals to Frontliners in Butuan City

April 11, 2020

Bancasi, Butuan City – As the COVID 19 pandemic continues, another Fastfood Chain giant, Chowking restaurant, in partnership with 402nd Infantry Brigade extended Bayanihan efforts and facilitated the distribution of meals to the frontliners at the Exit and Entry Quarantine Control Points (QCPs) in Butuan City on April 9, 2020. Recognizing the heroism and sacrifice of the frontliners, fastfood giant Chowking, owned by Jollibee Foods Corporation (JFC) reached out to the frontliners and facilitated the distribution of one-hundred twenty (120) lunch time meals at the QCPs in Brgy’s Pigdaulan, Bit-os and Bancasi all of Butuan City. Said effort is part of the restaurant’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) especially in this time of crisis wherein frontliners sacrificed and devoted their efforts to ensure that the COVID 19 pandemic will be contained. Ms. Jenn Hyacint Claro, Chowking’s Area Manager in Butuan City said, “JFC through Jollibee Group of Foundation’s Food AID Program has been closely coordinating with public and private organizations for an efficient distribution system of the food products to frontliners. Our frontliners are our real modern-day heroes during this time of a pandemic. It is unfortunate that many of them have little time to rest”. “The Jollibee Group is one with them in this fight and we hope that through our food support, we can fuel their heroic efforts. We are more than grateful for what they are doing for our countrymen. We thank our COVID Frontliners from the bottom of our hearts”, She ended. It can be recalled that fast food chain Jollibee which is also owned by JFC extended its hands to the frontliners and had been distributing its signature Chicken Joy meal to the frontliners composed of personnel from DOH, PNP, BFP, Army troopers coming from 23IB and 29IB under the operational control of 402nd Brigade and reservist volunteers from 15th Regional Community Defense Group (RCDG) of the Army Reserve Command stationed at the exit and entry QCPs in Brgys Sumilihon, Antongalon and Bancasi of Butuan City. Meanwhile, Brigadier General Maurito L Licudine, Commander of the 402nd Brigade in his statement said, “We are in awe of the support that our frontliners are receiving right now. Marami ng nagpaabot ng tulong at nagpapasalamat kami sa kanilang tiwala. Sa panahon ng ganitong sakuna, kailangan talaga natin ang suporta ng bawat isa. Indeed, in unity there is strength. The act of kindness and unconditional support from benevolent individuals and groups made our frontliner’s job lighter and boosted their morale to continue to perform their tasks to help stop the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

READ MORE
Bayugan City, Army to aid 26,000 households in COVID-19 fight

April 11, 2020

Bayugan City, Agusan Del Sur – The Bayugan City Local Government Unit’s COVID-19 Task Force led by Hon. Mayor Kirk A. Asis started the city-wide aid to support its 26,000 households in 43 barangays by providing a full sack of rice for every household in the hinterlands and cash assistance for constituents settling in the urban areas of the city. The relief operation from April 7 to date already reached 13 out of 43 barangays---Taglibas, San Agustin, Montevista, Verdu, Sagmone, Katipunan, Marcelina, San Isidro, Bucac, Charito, Gamao, Saguma and Salvacion. The relief will continue until April 14. The COVID-19 Task Force is composed of the LGU Officials and Staffs, Social and Medical field frontliners from the city to barangay level, the 3rd Special Forces “Arrowhead” Battalion, Philippine National Police and other uniformed personnel, and volunteer civil society groups working together to provide the quality support system in this fight against COVID-19. The City Mayor said that he cannot afford to give its constituents less than what they deserve that is why Bayugan City will provide full sack of rice initially and cash assistance. “If this will not be enough for the whole duration of the localized quarantine, we will find a way to sustain our people, “Mayor Asis, said. “We will provide 1 full sack of rice to every household living in the rural areas while cash assistance will be provided in the urban barangays of Taglatawan and Poblacion. We provided cash to the urban barangays because we intend to keep the economic flow and activity in the city’s essential market establishments,” the Mayor, added. An estimated total of 27,000 sacks of rice were procured by the city from its homegrown and local farmers to feed the constituents and a free vegetable delivery service will also be mobilized in the urban area to provide food to the residents. “This will provide enough food for all while helping the city’s farmers to earn amid the crisis,” the mayor exclaimed.   Bayugan City aims to maintain a zero COVID-19 positive case that is why a 24/7 Emergency Operations Center is established in its City Hall to monitor the strict implementation of the border lockdowns to protect the city from the virus. Meanwhile, the 3rd Special Forces “Arrowhead” Battalion lauds the decisive, strategic and legal binding approaches of the City to maintain its economic activity and sustain its constituents amid the world and nation-wide pandemic ad vows to provide the necessary support in protecting the frontliners who deliver the basic services and the goods for the public. 

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.