the region

DOH-10 chief says no to Ivermectin

September 21, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - A top-ranking official of the Department of Health regional office 10 (DOH-10) has strongly opposed the human use of Ivermectin anti-parasitic drug, to treat coronavirus-infected patients. This, even as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already given a go-signal to third party hospitals to start using Ivermectin, a drug specially formulated for animals, saying the use of said drug to treat covid patients has no proof and specific evidence. The idea of using Ivermectin to treat covid-19 patients came out after several people claimed they were treated and cured of Covid-19 after they used the said Ivermectin drug. But Doctor Llacuna in a press briefing claimed that there is no proof and specific evidence that patients were cured after using the "animal drug"   Dr. Jose R. Llacuna Jr, regional director of the Department of Health (DOH)-10, said he is not recommending the use of said drug because Ivermectin is formulated only for animals and not for human consumption, as a drug to cure illnesses from virus infections.   There is no sufficient evidence, Llacuna said, that could prove that said drug can actually cure the deadly coronavirus disease and its dangerous mutations. Director Llacuna claimed that last year based on the Philippine COVID-19 Living CPG reviewers of the UP-NIH and ICE, as well as the panel representative DOH-FDA, PMA, PCP, PAFP, POGS, PCEM, PSGIM, PCCP, PSPHP, and PSMID official statement early this year—regarding the use of Ivermectin for treatment of COVID 19 The DOH official said that further study of the Cochrane research group reportedly showed Ivermectin failed to reduce deaths happening in many regions in the country. Cochrane, the DOH official said, is a global independent network of researchers, professionals, patients, caregivers, and people interested in health. Meanwhile, Dr Eric Domingo of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already announced and given a go-signal for third party hospitals to use Ivermectin to help treat the covid-19 victims. FDA GO SIGNAL Earlier, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported that a third party hospital has been granted a compassionate special permit (CSP) to use Ivermectin anti-parasitic drug for the treatment of the deadly virus coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)   FDA Director-General Eric Domingo, during the House committee hearing on good government and public accountability, said the facility received the permit to use the veterinary drug and treat their patients contracted with the deadly virus. Domingo said: “Sa ngayon po mayroon pa pong na-approve na isang hospital." According to Domingo the CSP permit only allows the approved hospitals for one year and gives authorization to their doctors to administer the Ivermectin to treat covid patients.    

READ MORE
Another P1.7 contraband cigarettes intercepted in Pagadian

September 13, 2021

PAGADIAN CITY - Smugglers never learn their lessons that the long arm of the law is hell-bent in pursuing after them. Just a day after the seizure of 1.2 million contraband cigarettes, smugglers again tried to deliver another P1.7 million worth of the same contraband when they were intercepted along the national highway in Barangay Baloyboan, this city.   Director, Brig. Gen. Ronaldo Genaro Ylagan, Police Regional Office 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula) said a truck loaded with 105 master cases of undocumented cigarettes, consisting of 12 master cases of Nelson cigarettes and 93 master cases of Fort cigarettes valued at PHP1,785,000, was flagged down along the national highway, at around 7:30 a.m. om Wednesday. The police official identified the smuggling suspects as Nilbert Lambajon, 28, and his assistant driver, Marlon Saavedra, 36, all residents of the city. As usual, upon verification and interrogation, the suspects failed to show documents of legally doing business, and to prove the shipment is legal. The government impounded the vehicle and confiscated the contraband cigarettes, as well as arrested the suspects. Dir Ylagan has ordered all police units to strictly monitor smugglers in the city as they all tried to slip through the smuggled goods and cigarettes even with the series of confiscations and arrests made by the police. Earlier on Tuesday (September 6), the suspects identified as David Batu-on Franco, driver and Michael Bryan Tagaytay, his assistant tried to hurdle a checkpoint to reportedly deliver the smuggled items to their customers. But police operatives manning the checkpoint in Barangay Baloyboan flagged down the wing van truck loaded with 115 master cases of cigarettes consisting of 91 master cases of Fort and 24 master cases of New Berlin with a market value of PHP1,160,000. The suspects, Franco and Tagaytay, report said, have failed to present pertinent documents that would prove the legality of the cigarettes. - PNA ___________      

READ MORE
Rufus calls for the immediate release of 'hijacked' FLR funds

September 13, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY - House Deputy Speaker Rufus Rodriguez rallied Friday for the immediate disbursement of the so-called "For Later Release" (FLR) funds included in the 2021 national budget. Rep. Rodriguez in a statement reacted after the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) reported that around P140 billion DPWH funds tagged as FLR has been submitted for review at the Office of the President (OP).   He said the Palace may be later faced with accusations of using the funds in the upcoming political elections in May next year if the Office of the President would continue withholding it. “The Department of Budget and Management has effectively hijacked these funds by withholding them. The President should direct the DBM to immediately release the money,” said Cagayan de Oro's 2nd District Representative. Rep Rodriguez batted for no favoritism in the release of the P140 billion FLR funds. “The President, who has accepted the nomination of the administration party for him to run for vice president in next year’s elections, needs the support of everybody. There should be no favoritism in the release of FLR funds,” Rodriguez pointed out. The congressman reminded that the release of said funds by DBM should not only depend on President Duterte's approval, as the president only tagged it as "FLR." He said the president's approval is no longer needed for the release of said FLR funds because both the Senate and Congress have approved it already. Rodriguez said: “These are line items in the 2021 budget law or General Appropriations Act, which the House and the Senate approved and which President Duterte signed. The President’s approval is not needed for their release because they are contained in the law.” Rodriguez warned that the executive branch would be undermining the power of the House if it gave the authority to withhold appropriations included in the 2021 national budget. “That would render the exclusive power of Congress to appropriate public funds useless. What is the use of enacting appropriations if Malacañang is given the power of life and death over them?” the congressman said in a statement. ADMISSION Meanwhile, Budget Undersecretary Tina Rose Marie Canda was quick to reveal that DBM has already disbursed P33 billion of the P140 billion FLR funds, as approved by the Office of the President. Canda said the slow disbursement in the case of the DPWH 2021 budget tagged as FLR funds was because of President Duterte's veto message on the 2021 appropriations approved by the lawmakers in the House of Representatives and in the Senate, for further review, and instead, classified said the budget as "For Later Release (FLR). “But in terms of ongoing projects, we have released comprehensively at almost 85 percent of infrastructure projects to agencies,” told reporters, referring to other DPWH projects.

READ MORE
Tangub Mayor declares 'No Movement Saturdays'

September 13, 2021

TANGUB CITY - As the deadly coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) has continued attacking different areas in Mindanao by contracting the unmindful residents, a top official of the city has declared "No Movement Saturdays." City Mayor Jennifer Tan signed Executive Order 234, series of 2021, officially declaring "No Movement Saturdays" purposely to contain the virus from spreading fast. Mayor Tan was alarmed when the deadly virus contraction has reached a record high of 120 cases in a single day. The mayor's EO mandated the public to refrain from going outside their respective houses and to avoid non-essential gatherings, except for members of the family who are allowed to buy food and medicines. The order also exempted medical frontliners, as well as those obligated to work on Saturdays, including the emergency responders. A fine of P1,000 for the first offense, plus a day in jail will be meted against those who will be caught defying the executive order duly signed by Mayor Tan. For the second offense, a fine of P2,000 plus three days in jail; and a fine of P5,000 and 10-day imprisonment for the third offense. The order temporarily suspended religious gatherings, but it allowed public transportation to continue operating. Provided, however, that operators shall follow stricter rules of the provincial government of Misamis Occidental; and the passenger vehicles plying the road will be in a reduced capacity. Meanwhile, the City Government has earlier inaugurated a 35-bed isolation facility in response to the increasing number of residents who have contracted the deadly coronavirus disease. The Covid-19 isolation facility, located in Barangay Maloro, was named "Project Anchorage" by the City Government. Mayor Tan said the 35-bed capacity isolation facility has nine rooms intended for families and couples, while the rest of the rooms with comfortable beds are also equipped with a tiled comfort room, an air-conditioning unit, water, kettle, water dispenser, radio monitor, Cable TV, and Wi-Fi. She said the "Anchorage" is considered a resort hotel concept design being near to the beach, and the ambiance is just like people living there are on "staycation." "Mental health is very important in the success rate of survival of Covid-19,” the mayor pointed out. - PNA  

READ MORE
Murder charges filed in court against the 'killers' of a village chairman

September 13, 2021

PAGADIAN CITY - Days are numbered for the killers of Barangay Tuburan chairman in this city, who was shot dead while cleaning his vehicle on August 25.   The police have finally filed murder charges against Joseph Andos alias Butchoy; Julie Benabaye alias Gaga; and two other suspects who were involved in the killing of a village leader identified as Raymundo Albiar, 55 year's old. Col. Roel Lami-ing, Zamboanga del Sur police director, said both the suspects were identified based on witnesses' accounts, and also through the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) created to handle the investigation process. Lami-ing said the task force created consisted of the Pagadian City police, National Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, Anti-Cybercrime Group, Highway Patrol Group, and other law enforcement agencies. Investigations disclosed that on August 25, and while the victim was cleaning his vehicle, the suspects reportedly barged in and without provocation shot the victim, which resulted in the village chief's untimely demise. The incident, which happened around 6:10 in the morning in Purok Nangka, Barangay Tuburan, caused the life of Tuburan chairman Raymundo Albiar, 55. The Provincial Government of Zamboanga del Sur has offered P1 million bounty to anybody who can provide vital information that will lead to the resolution of the case. - PNA

READ MORE
Granular lockdown imposed on selected areas in Agsur

September 13, 2021

PROSPERIDAD, Agusan del Sur - The local government of Prosperidad town, this province, has placed four areas under granular lockdown Saturday (September 11) following the recent recommendation of the mayor and the local IATF. The lockdown order was made by local officials due to the reported surge of covid-19 cases in these areas that already alarmed the residents. Under granular lockdowns were Purok 1,2,3,4 and 5 in Barangay Patin-ay in Prosperidad municipality, this province, starting September 11, 2021, it was learned. The lockdown was also implemented by virtue of Resolution #29 signed by Mayor Eric Mellana, who is also the current chief of the local Municipal Inter-Agency Task Force (MIATF) Based on official records, the municipality of Prosperidad has registered 315 active cases of the deadly coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). Of the total of 1,274 cases, 927 have fully recovered, with 32 fatalities. The municipal officials have already convened on Friday and finalized the implementing guidelines of the said granular lockdown. Based on the guidelines on focused containment, the local government with the support of national agencies, will take care of the food supply needs of the affected families inside the lockdown communities.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.