latest headlines

Hogs in Misamis Oriental ASF free

February 11, 2020

MISAMIS Oriental--Hogs and swine in this capital province of Northern Mindanao are still free of the dreaded Africa Swine Fever (ASF), an official said Friday. Benjie Resma, head of the provincial veterinary office, said that the provincial government has been closely monitoring the hog industry here since the presence of the ASF was confirmed in the country last year. Resma issued the statement to allay fears and assure buyers from the Visayas region that the hogs and pork products coming from Misamis Oriental are free of ASF contamination.   “We are closely monitoring the hog raisers in the province, especially the “backyard” raisers, which could be vulnerable,” Resma said. He said the monitoring became intense following the banning of the hogs and swine coming the neighboring provinces of Davao, particularly Davao Occidental. Provincial Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano has ordered a total ban of all hog products coming from the Davao region, Resma said. He said that the province of Bukidnon along with Misamis Oriental are the two major hog raisers in Northern Mindanao. “We have deployed several teams in the boarders Misamis Oriental to be on guard of the possible entry of contaminated hog products in the province,” Resma said. Resma said that there are seven major hog raisers in Misamis Oriental that supply the requirements of the provinces of Leyte and Samar. According to Resma, the province of Leyte and Samar has issued a ban of all hog and swine products in Mindanao following the outbreak of ASF in Davao. Resma said that the provincial government sent a letter to the provinces of Leyte and Samar to lift the ban with an assurance that Misamis Oriental is free of ASF.

READ MORE
Monster.com: PH online hiring growth posts double-digit in Q4

January 31, 2020

• Overall sentiment for online hiring demand experienced an increase in Q4, with 15% year-on-year demand growth for both October and November, and 14% for the month of December • The IT, Telecom/ISP sector led e-recruitment activity growth among all industry sectors, up by 28% year-on-year between December 2018 and 2019 • Other industries with strong e-recruitment demand growth during the final quarter of the year included BFSI and BPO/ITES • When looking at occupations, HR & Admin professionals came out on top with a record high of 32% year-on-year in the month of December E-HIRING sentiment in the Philippines experienced a bump in Q4, in line with the uptick in overall economic growth. Charting strong growth numbers of 15%, 15% and 14% year-on-year for October, November and December, respectively, the online recruitment sector performed better this quarter as compared to Q3. “The upward trajectory of online hiring growth in the Philippines is a reflection of last quarter’s economic recovery and is likely to accelerate even further given the current landscape. Consumer spending is expected to rise, driven by robust infrastructural developments, easing monetary conditions and a growing tourism sector, and this will help the economy maintain resilience,” said Krish Seshadri, CEO of Monster.com – APAC and Middle East. “This is a good time for businesses and employers to start thinking ahead and take steps to future-proof their workforce, so that they are prepared to compete with the expected future demand and maintain their relevance in the global landscape.” IT, Telecom/ISP led growth in e-recruitment activity among industry sectors, up by 28% year-on-year between December 2018 and 2019 – its steepest annual growth in 2019. The sector performed well in the short-term as well, up by 4% month-on-month and 9% over a three-month period. Not far behind was the BFSI sector, which also continued to chart strong double-digit numbers and recorded its most notable growth of 27% year-on-year for the month of December 2019. The BPO/ITES sector has been one with a long-term growth momentum in the Philippines and maintained that in Q4, rising marginally from 17% annual growth in November to 19% in December. The MEI is a gauge of online job posting activity compiled monthly by Monster.com. It records the industries and occupations that show the highest and lowest growth in local recruitment activity. When looking at specific job roles, HR & Admin professionals continued to lead annual growth in online demand among occupation groups with an impressive 36% year-on-year increase for October, which then dipped slightly to 35% and 32% in November and December respectively. Finance & Accounts talent experienced surging demand during the quarter and continued to chart double-digit annual growth numbers of 26% in both October and November, and 24% in December. Software, Hardware and Telecom professionals also experienced notable growth in Q4, with December witnessing the highest rise in demand for the occupation in 2019. The Monster Employment Index is a monthly gauge of online job posting activity, based on a real-time review of millions of employer job opportunities culled from a large representative selection of career websites and online job listings across the Philippines. The Index does not reflect the trend of any one advertiser or source but is an aggregate measure of the change in job listings across the industry.

READ MORE
PIDS holds groundbreaking ceremony for new building in QC

January 27, 2020

THE Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS) will soon have its own building in Quezon City.   PIDS President Celia Reyes today led the groundbreaking ceremony at Commonwealth Avenue in UP Diliman to officially start the construction of the PIDS building this year.     The construction of the PIDS’s new office “is the realization of a long-time dream of the agency and its staff” and “is envisaged to help strengthen the Institute’s stature as a premier think tank of the Philippine government”.   According to Reyes, the new building will provide a more dignified workplace for everyone, which will encourage greater productivity, efficiency, and innovation in policy research.   “Having an ample space for work and interaction will promote the well-being of the staff and will foster a collegial relationship. It will help the Institute provide a cordial reception to its stakeholders as its way of upholding the highest level of professionalism and commitment to public service,” she said.   The building is part of a memorandum of understanding between PIDS and the University of the Philippines (UP) signed in July 2019. The land, owned by UP, is leased to PIDS for a period of 25 years, subject to renewal. Funds for the lease and construction will be sourced from the General Appropriations Act.   The seven-storey building has a total land area of 3,000 square meters. It will house the Institute’s research personnel and support departments, and various amenities such as meetings rooms, conference hall, library, and wellness room, among others.  It will feature an eco-friendly modern design.   Based on the projection of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), the PIDS building will be completed within a period of two years.   For 38 years, the PIDS, established in 1977, held office at the NEDA sa Makati Building before transferring to its current location at Eton Centris in Quezon City in 2015. Present during the ceremony were Socioeconomic Planning Secretary and PIDS Board of Trustees Chairperson Ernesto Pernia, University of the Philippines (UP) President Danilo Concepcion, PIDS founding father and UP Emeritus Professor of Economics Gerardo Sicat, former PIDS Presidents Filologo Pante and Josef Yap, PIDS Board of Trustees members Atty. Rafael Lotilla and Dr. Alfredo Pascual, UP Vice President for Development Elvira Zamora, UP Vice President for Public Affairs Elena Pernia, UP Vice President for Academic Affairs Cynthia Bautista, PIDS management committee, research fellows, and staff, and officials from the DPWH, Department of Budget and Management, and Commission on Audit.

READ MORE
Militiaman who strafes team of soldiers surrenders

January 23, 2020

ILIGAN City--The commander of a Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (Cafgu) detachment in Lanao del Sur who shot to death his fellow soldiers surrendered to authorities after almost a month of hiding. Captain Clint Antipala, acting Public Affairs Officer of the Army's 1st Infantry Division, said Corporal Nao Mohammad Lassam was turned over to Marantao Police Station in Lanao del Sur after he surrendered last January 12 to the Army troops of the 10th and 1st Infantry Divisions in Tagum City. Lassam strafed a team of soldiers who were clearing the area in sitio Banisilan, Barangay Bandaraingud in Pagayawan town in Lanao del Sur on December 24, that resulted to the death of two Army soldiers of the 55th Infantry Battalion: Second Lieutenant Mark Linne Banua and Sergeant Jhanjihan Carumba. Five other soldiers were wounded in the incident. He was made as guide in the clearing operation after the chief of police of Binidayan Municipal Police Station of Binidayan town was ambushed on December 23 in the area. The ambushed resulted in the death of Police Executive Master Sergeant Amen Lucman Macalangan and his driver, Ramel Pangcatan. Lassam, who hails from Maguindanao, fled after the shooting. The clearing operation is in connection with the ambush of a chief of police in Binidayan on December 23. Antipala said Lassam is facing two counts of murder, serious physical injuries and multiple frustrated murder cases which were filed at the Office of Provincial Prosecutor in Marawi City. Brigadier General Generoso Ponio in a statement sent by the 1st Division Public Affairs Office said that the 1st Infantry Division sees to it that their erring personnel "will be given due process and face the military's and the country's justice system and we will not hesitate to put them behind bars if proven guilty."

READ MORE
Govt busted fake cigarette makers in 2 barangays in Oro

January 23, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro CITY--Authorities raided two warehouses here that yielded close to five thousand boxes of counterfeit cigarettes last Tuesday estimated at P882 million, the Bureau of Internal Revenue said on Wednesday. Atty. Jonaidah Darimbang, a BIR officer from the legal department, said 4,707 boxes of cigarettes were seized by a joint team of BIR and the National Bureau of Investigation in barangays Cugman and Bayabas. The cigarettes were confiscated in gross violation of Sections 130 in relation to Section 255, 236 in relation to Section 258, Section 263 and Section 265 of the National Internal Revenue Code as amended, Darimbang said. Sections 236 and 258 refer to the unlawful pursuit of business; sections 130 and 255, failure to file excise tax returns; section 263, unlawful possession or removal of articles subject to exciste tax without payment of tax; and section 265, unlawful possession of spurious internal revenue stamps. She said BIR regional director Nuzar Balatero issued mission order nos. 10756 and 10766 dated Jan. 21, 2020 authorizing the agents to raid a warehouse in Cugman, and another one in Bayabas. Darimbang said some 3,000 boxes of cigarettes were taken at the Bayabas warehouse with excise tax deficiency of P562.5 million, while 1,707 boxes were seized at the Cugman facility, with excise tax deficiency of P320 million, or a total of P882 million. “With the use of the BIR Taggant Reader, a device used to detect whether or not the BIR stamp is fake, various brands of cigarettes were found to have fake BIR stamps or no stamps at all,” she told reporters when the seized items were presented to the media in a storage facility in Bayabas on Wednesday. Among the brands confiscated bore the names YS Filter, RED, Jackpot, Bravo, Marvels, Astro, and Two Moon.

READ MORE
P882m fake BIR stamps, untaxed cig busted in CDO

January 23, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Operatives of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) busted fake revenue stamps and untaxed cigarettes worth P 882 million here Wednesday. Nolan Gadia, an NBI operative, said that armed with an order from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), the operatives swooped down on two warehouses in the villages of Cugman and Bayabas, all of Cagayan De Oro City. He said that the operatives, accompanied by BIR agents from Manila, seized the fake stamps and untaxed cartoons of cigarettes worth P 882 million in the warehouses. Gadia said that the fake stamps were mixed with “genuine” BIR stamps, which were sorted out by revenue officials. According to Gadia, the contraband was stored in the warehouses owned by Gaisano Inc., a firm that owns a string of shopping malls in the country. He said that nobody was around when the law enforces raided the padlocked warehouses. “The BIR order authorizes the operatives to forcibly open the warehouses and discovered the contraband,” Gadia said. He said that the NBI are now conducting a probe to identify the owners of the contraband while determining the liability of the Gaisano management although the warehouses were reportedly rented from them. The operatives have deployed security forces to secure the warehouses to make sure that the contraband would be safe pending relocation to a safer place.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.