Militiaman who strafes team of soldiers surrenders

By Divina M. Suson, Correspondent
January 23, 2020


ILIGAN City--The commander of a Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit (Cafgu) detachment in Lanao del Sur who shot to death his fellow soldiers surrendered to authorities after almost a month of hiding.

Captain Clint Antipala, acting Public Affairs Officer of the Army's 1st Infantry Division, said Corporal Nao Mohammad Lassam was turned over to Marantao Police Station in Lanao del Sur after he surrendered last January 12 to the Army troops of the 10th and 1st Infantry Divisions in Tagum City.

Lassam strafed a team of soldiers who were clearing the area in sitio Banisilan, Barangay Bandaraingud in Pagayawan town in Lanao del Sur on December 24, that resulted to the death of two Army soldiers of the 55th Infantry Battalion: Second Lieutenant Mark Linne Banua and Sergeant Jhanjihan Carumba.

Five other soldiers were wounded in the incident.

He was made as guide in the clearing operation after the chief of police of Binidayan Municipal Police Station of Binidayan town was ambushed on December 23 in the area.

The ambushed resulted in the death of Police Executive Master Sergeant Amen Lucman Macalangan and his driver, Ramel Pangcatan.

Lassam, who hails from Maguindanao, fled after the shooting.

The clearing operation is in connection with the ambush of a chief of police in Binidayan on December 23.

Antipala said Lassam is facing two counts of murder, serious physical injuries and multiple frustrated murder cases which were filed at the Office of Provincial Prosecutor in Marawi City.

Brigadier General Generoso Ponio in a statement sent by the 1st Division Public Affairs Office said that the 1st Infantry Division sees to it that their erring personnel "will be given due process and face the military's and the country's justice system and we will not hesitate to put them behind bars if proven guilty."



Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.