Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office General Manager Alexander F. Balutan said the agency through its Charity Assistance Department (CAD) will donate P5 million cash to typhoon Vinta victims at the Province of Palawan this Friday.
“We have a yearly calamity fund of P100 million approved by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) for natural and man-made disasters,” said Balutan. “We have more than P97 million left for 2017. We will maximize the help for people in need.”
Last year, the agency donated P6 million to Biliran Province for typhoon Urduja victims; P2.5 million to Davao City; P1 million to Davao del Norte; P500,000 to Tagum City; P200,000 to Davao Occidental; P600,000 to Davao Oriental; and P600,000 to Compostela Valley for typhoon Vinta victims.
Agaton was the very first typhoon that hit the country this year. It devastated southern and eastern part of the Philippines namely Palawan including Cuyo Island, Bohol, Cebu, Siquijor, Guimaras, Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, Southern Antique, and Southern Iloilo.
A few days before Christmas, typhoon Urduja brought heavy rains in Eastern Visayas (Samar and Biliran provinces), and was followed by tropical storm Vinta, which made a landfall on December 21.
Typhoon Vinta reportedly damaged 542 infrastructures and affected 2,250 residents who stayed at temporary shelters.
Widespread rains in eastern, central, and western Mindanao caused mudslides and flashfloods. Some of the affected provinces included Zamboanga Peninsula, Lanao del Sur and del Norte, Misamis Oriental, Bukidnon, and Davao.
Reports said one entire community inhabited by more than 100 families was totally wiped out in Lanao del Norte. There were 266 fatalities.
The Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) was feted one of the best performing Government-Owned and Controlled Corporation (GOCCs) for 2017 and listed in the “billionaires row” of the Department of Finance (DOF). President Rodrigo Duterte and House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo led the...