northern mindanao

Datu Abdullah Sangki, Camiguin tighten guard vs COVID-19

December 11, 2020

To keep track of arrivals and further contain the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID)-19, the Municipal Government of Datu Abdullah Sangki in Maguindanao and the Provincial Government of Camiguin keep a record of individuals and monitor the latter's activities. “As of now we don’t have any positive cases. Last week we were certified by the Ministry of Health as a temporary treatment center for COVID,” Datu Abdullah Sangki Mayor Datu Pax Ali Mangudadatu said during the Network Briefing News, December 9. The mayor added that they were able to accommodate 100 persons who reached their town through a certain housing area.  “The housing that’s not occupied has been permitted by the Ministry of Health to accommodate some of the excess in capacity,” he added. They also use their COVID patient vehicle to fetch arrivals in Cotabato, General Santos or Zamboanga.  In responding to COVID-19 cases, Mangudadatu said they established the biggest COVID control and prevention center in Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).  He added that those who are in isolation are given free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks. There is also free Wi-Fi, television, and allowance. “After their 14-day quarantine, the municipal government gives them a minimum wage equivalent to 14 days in support to them,” the mayor said. Arrival handling in Camiguin In Camiguin, residents of the province will not be required to undergo the 14-day quarantine provided that they can present a negative result via reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) or swab testing within 12 hours prior to reaching the island from December 15, 2020-January 7, 2021. This is implemented under Executive Order No. 52 or an order prescribing holiday season quarantine policy.  Even with this ease of travel, Gov. Jurdin Jesus Romualdo said movements of the arrivals are still limited to essential or emergency purposes only.  As of December 8, the province has recorded one COVID-19 confirmed case who is an LSI from Davao City. The patient is currently handled at Mambajao municipal isolation unit.  There are 422 persons with a history of travel or COVID-19 exposure of which 336 are from Mambajao, 26 from Mahinog, 12 from Guinsiliban, 8 from Sagay, and 40 from Catarman. (RTP/PIA10)

READ MORE
BSP LAUNCHES CREDIT RISK DATABASE PROJECT FOR SMEs

December 11, 2020

The BSP kicked off the implementation of the Credit Risk Database (CRD) project for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in a virtual launch held on 10 December 2020. The project, which is a joint initiative of the BSP and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), aims to improve access to finance among SMEs by promoting risk-based lending and lessening the dependence of banks on collaterals during credit evaluation. This will be achieved through the use of statistical credit scoring models to be developed on the CRD that can predict the probability of an SME to default. The augmented access to credit of SMEs is expected to result in their enhanced productivity and competitiveness. According to BSP Governor Benjamin E. Diokno, “The CRD project is a tangible step in building a sustainable financing ecosystem for SMEs, the backbone of our economy and the driver of the country’s inclusive economic growth.” The lack of access to credit remains a fundamental obstacle to the further development and sustainability of SMEs. The BSP explained that this is primarily attributed to SMEs’ reluctance to apply for bank loans due to lack of credit history and acceptable collateral; as well as banks’ perception that SMEs in general are high-risk. SMEs were also heavily affected by the pandemic as lockdowns implemented forced businesses to cease operations or operate on a limited basis. According to the BSP, both the government and private sector should provide much-needed support to SMEs to help them withstand this crisis and eventually recover and thrive beyond this pandemic. As the country progress into the new normal and steer towards a strong post-pandemic economic recovery, the BSP expects CRD to be a vital enabling credit infrastructure in the country’s MSME financing ecosystem. The virtual launch was participated by representatives from JICA, Chamber of Thrift Banks, Bankers Association of the Philippines, and Rural Bankers Association of the Philippines, as well as representatives from the 17 pioneer participating banks, namely: Land Bank of the Philippines (including Overseas Filipino Bank), Development Bank of the Philippines, Security Bank, Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation, Philippine Business Bank, Sterling Bank of Asia, China Bank Savings, Malayan Bank, Philippine Savings Bank, UCPB Savings Bank, Producers Savings Bank, Queen City Development Bank, Wealthbank, Sun Savings Bank, AllBank, CARD SME Bank and First Consolidated Bank. In thanking the 17 pioneer participating banks, Governor Diokno highlighted that their participation in the project is a visible demonstration of their commitment to support the development of the SME sector and to the crucial work of nation building. He also thanked JICA for their commitment towards socio-economic development in the Philippines, and the Japanese government for spurring the foundations which make its bilateral ties with the Philippines exceptional.    

READ MORE
P9.3B PPAs completed in NorMin CAPDev areas in Q3

December 10, 2020

About P9.3 billion of programs, projects and activities (PPAs) have already been completed in Convergence Areas for Peace and Development (CAPDev) in Northern Mindanao, bringing a total of P35.8 billion of PPAs finished since the first quarter of 2019 up to the third quarter in 2020. National Economic Development Authority (NEDA)-10 Regional Director Mylah Faye Aurora B. Cariño reported this during the Regional Task Force-End Local Communist Armed Conflict (ELCAC) cum Regional Development Committee (RDC)-10 Special Balik Probinsya 2 (BP2) committee meeting, December 7, adding that there were about 1, 592 PPAs identified for these CAPDev areas. Meanwhile, delays in the implementation of certain projects in CAPDDev areas were noted. Cariño shared about 177 of 1,592 CAPDev PPAs or 11 percent of these projects to be implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Information Communications Technology (DICT) and National Housing Authority (NHA) encountered some delays. For some reasons DPWH issued work suspension orders while the DSWD recommended adoption of fund transfer scheme in its ongoing payout. Some projects were also delayed due to insufficient manpower, materials, road right of way issues and unstable peace and order condition in three road projects in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon. Among the major projects identified in Bukidnon include Bukidnon Airport Development Project with earthworks on runway initially completed; NHA-Don Carlos Village housing construction at 43.42 percent with enhancement at 55 percent. One hundred housing units were already completed and the target date of turnover will be this month of December. The by-pass road/diversion road at Tongantongan, Valencia City is now 99.9 percent complete. It only lacks electrical posts. (JMOR/PIA10)

READ MORE
RTF-ELCAC-10 to continue programs for peace, development

December 10, 2020

The Regional Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (RTF-ELCAC)-10 will pursue its peace and development efforts in northern Mindanao, as it lays down various programs, projects, activities (PPAs) to be implemented by member-agencies, December 7. In the RTF-ELCAC-10 cum Northern Mindanao Regional Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa committee meeting presided over by the Communications Secretary Martin M. Andanar, he underscored the importance of working together and moving forward amid COVID-19 pandemic. On the other hand, National Economic Development Authority (NEDA)-10 Regional Director Mylak Faye Aurora B. Cariño presented the Northern Mindanao Regional Balik Probinsya, Bagong Pag-asa (BP2) Action Plan that ensures a balanced regional development, equitable distribution of wealth, resources and opportunities through policies and programs that would boost countryside development and inclusive growth, provide adequate social services and promote full employment as well as industrialization and improved quality of life in rural areas. In Region 10, the pilot area for BP2 is Kauswagan town in Lanao del Norte. Meanwhile, the local government units (LGUs) with proposed resettlement sites for BP2 include Cagayan de Oro City with six hectares, Gingoog City 20 hectares, El Salvador City six hectares Iligan City with 41 hectares with proposed Abaca plantation vegetable farm, Tangub City and Lanao del Norte. Andanar together with Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG)-10 Regional Director Arnel Agabe turned-over to five former rebels from Misamis Oriental firearms renumeration amounting to P180,000 and P90,000 and livelihood assistance worth P50,000 under the government's Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP. Agabe said many lives had already been changed due to the programs initiated by the government particularly the former rebels. "DILG has so far distributed more than P12 million for ECLIP to more than 200 former rebels in the region," he stressed. Meanwhile, 4th Infantry Division commander MGen Andres Centino shared that through Executive Order 70 (EO 70) of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, there is now focused targeting through identification of focus areas such as the geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas and conflict-affected/ conflict vulnerable areas, and convergence of all government agencies from security to livelihood and infrastructures. To achieve sustainable peace and inclusive development as well as conflict-resilient communities, Centino said, this can only be done by effectively addressing peace building needs, adopting intuitional efficiency and accountability as well as improving, developing  and protecting conflict-affected areas. (JMOR/PIA10)

READ MORE
Iligan eyes to adjust curfew hours for Simbang Gabi

December 10, 2020

The city government of Iligan is planning to shorten its curfew hours to make way for the Simbang Gabi or dawn masses during the Christmas season. City Mayor Celso Regencia said during the recent City Peace and Order Council meeting that he will issue an executive order to amend the curfew hours to '10:00 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.' from the previous '10:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.' "Bisan pa man og nia ta sa katalagman ato gihapon saulogon ang pagkatawo sa atong manunubos," he explained. (Even though we are in a pandemic, we will still celebrate the birth of our Redeemer.) He however emphasized that the adjusted curfew will only be observed this December to allow residents to attend the traditional Simbang Gabi, and that health protocols to combat the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) will be strictly implemented. Regencia also recommended the scheduling of more Simbang Gabi masses to accommodate more people and still observe physical distancing. "Damihan ang misa, mag interval ng 30 minutes para hindi magsalubong ang mga lalabas at papasok ng simbahan," he added. (Schedule more mass with 30 minutes intervals so that those coming in and out of the church do not meet.) The mayor further reminded that minors will not be allowed to join the dawn masses. (APB/PIA-ICIC)

READ MORE
Regencia orders ICPO to intensify ops vs health protocol violators

December 10, 2020

 City mayor Celso Regencia instructed the Iligan City Police Office (ICPO) to double their efforts in apprehending individuals who are not observing health and safety protocols especially those not wearing face masks and face shields amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) contagion. ICPO record shows that 12,769 people have been apprehended from March 17 until December 2 for violating health protocols and related ordinances to curb the spread of COVID-19.  Of this number, 3,943 were apprehended for not wearing a face mask and 253 for not wearing a face shield.   Regencia said they need to intensify their efforts in order to sustain the positive results as the spread of COVID-19 in the city has slowed down. "What we need is discipline...para by January dili na ta ma include sa cities nga mahulog sa GCQ (so that by January we will not be included in the cities that will fall under the GCQ)," the mayor pointed out. To date, 40 patients are considered active cases in Iligan, 24 of them are quarantined in an isolation facility while 16 are admitted in hospitals. Of the 983 confirmed cases in the city as of 8 December, 891 have recovered and 52 have died.  (APB/PIA-ICIC)

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.