todays top stories

Covid-19 hits Koronadal City Mayor Eliordo Ogena 

April 11, 2021

KORONADAL CITY – The deadly coronavirus disease continues to wreck havoc elsewhere in the Philippines. This time it's Koronadal City Mayor Eliordo Ogena who contracted the disease. The mayor was immediately taken to the hospital after health officials confirmed him positive of the virus. According to his daily health bulletin, the city mayor is still in "good condition."  In his FB account, the mayor said Saturday (April 10) he got the coronavirus disease based on the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test. Symptoms of the suspected virus were seen from him so that he was rushed to the hospital. “To all my beloved Koronadaleños, I am saddened to inform you that I am positive for Covid-19. But don’t you worry because I am in good condition,” mayor Ogena said as also advised his constituents not to worry about his condition. The mayor also advised his constituents never to worry as he is now in isolation and following IATF protocols for the safety of his family and the employees of the City Government of Koronadal.  Ogena said in a radio interview that his personal doctor advised him to undergo RT-PCR for the third time since the deadly virus is still attacking people around the world with no exceptions. On Friday night the city mayor also experiences a high fever. The city mayor also experienced coughing but he could ascertain whether it already the virus symptoms as he had been coughing for many years due to his heart-related condition. He had bypass surgery in 2007, and since then he was coughing.  He said: “My fever has already subsided and I am in good condition. So far, so good, I’m healthy and strong, and eating well. He said he has no idea where he contracted the disease as he was been into many activities in the past few days.  

READ MORE
2 South Cotabato dads inoculated with Astra Zeneca but may face sanctions

April 11, 2021

SOUTH COTABATO -  Two mayors in this province could be in 'hot water' as they violated memo circular guidelines on giving priority to health care workers. This after the mayors got inoculated of the government-procured antivirus.  DILG South Cotabato Lawyer Rochelle Sero announced that Mayors Sulpicio Villalobos of Sto. Niño and Dibu Tuan of Tboli were inoculated ahead of the health care workers and this appeared the mayors violated DILG Memorandum Circular 2021-007. Lawyer Rochelle said the two mayors are not yet eligible to get the vaccines, based on a Memo Circular issued last January.  In a press briefing held recently, Lawyer Rochelle Sero said: “Kung makita nimo, naay priority and they cut the line. So maingon ta naa sila violation sa vaccine protocol” she said in a press briefing in Koronadal City. Sero leaves the resolution of the case on the mayor's violation to the Ombudsman to determine the gravity of the offense and the appropriate sanctions. The two were among the five mayors in the country who were initially flagged by the DILG central office and issued with show-cause orders on Wednesday for “jumping the line” on the vaccination priority list. Tuan and Villalobos got their first doses of the AstraZeneca last March 19.

READ MORE
P13.4-M illegal drugs burned in Caraga Region

April 9, 2021

CARAGA REGION - A combined total of P13.4 Million of illegal drugs confiscated by operatives of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA-13) in many operations, were burned and destroyed Wednesday, government reports said. PDEA-13 reported that those destroyed were composed of around 1,997.37 grams of the illegal drugs known as shabu.  PDEA-13 spokesperson Dindo Abellanosa told reporters "the illegal drugs destroyed were composed of 1,997.37 grams of shabu and 102.10 grams of marijuana.”  Hes added that the incinerated illegal; drugs were part of the 557 drug cases evidence in various regional trial courts in the region.   “Some of the disposed illegal drugs were from the crime laboratory of the Police Regional Office in Caraga Region (PRO-13),” Abellanosa clarified to PNA. Abellanosa said prior to the incineration they have first asked approval from the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB).

READ MORE
Indahag village chief denies she and another barangay official 'check in' at a motel in Oro

April 9, 2021

ILLICIT LOVE AFFAIR?   INDAHAG,  Cagayan de Oro City - A village chair has denied allegations she was found inside a motel with another barangay official along the national highway in Barangay Kauswagn, this city, the other day. Indahag Barangay Chair Jocelyn Dahino went to several radio stations and refuted allegations she was "allegedly having an illicit affair" with the first Kagawad of the same barangay in the person of Kag. Renejen Babia. A video footage allegedly showed Chairwoman Dahino coming out of the Kingsfield Hotel, where the male Brgy Councilor, Rene Babia also allegedly checked in. But the video is not clear and Dahino cannot be positively identified, witnesses said.  "To the people of Barangay Indahag. The allegations against me that I was found inside a hotel were baseless. I was busy with my regular job as a barangay chairperson and many of my colleagues in the barangay can attest to that," Chairwoman Dahino clarified in vernacular. On April 6 at around 11:00 in the morning, police operatives swooped down at Kingsfield Inn in Barangay Kauswagan upon the complaint of Mrs Babia that her husband was inside the hotel. Mrs Babia alleged that her husband, incumbent Councilor of Brgy Indahag Renejen Babia, has allegedly checked in inside the motel, with the incumbent barangay chairwoman Jocelyn Dahino. Mrs Babia said she installed a GPS inside the vehicle of her husband, so that, he was easily traced inside Kingsfield Inn in Barangay Kauswagan. Responding policemen arrested the subject Kag Renejen Babia inside Room 33 at Kingsfield Inn, but the alleged chairwoman was not around.  But the complainant Mrs Babia insisted she was the woman in the video who get out of the motel and rode a taxi prior to the arrest of Mr Babia. Carmen Police Station Commander Major Peter Tajor identified the suspect as Kag Renejen Babia and he was also positively identified by his wife and siblings as the subject person inside Room 33. Major Tajor told reporters Mr Babia and Indahag Chairwoman Dahino were positively identified by the wife, while the son also took a video allegedly when the subject Barangay chairwoman went out of the Inn's gate.  Kag Babia is now detained at Carmen Police Station mini cell and his wife is determined to file charges against him and Chairwoman Dahino in court.    VIDEO CREDIT TO MAGNUM RADIO CAGAYAN DE ORO

READ MORE
City Hall worker in CDO nabbed in drug buy-bust

April 8, 2021

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY: An employee of the city government was nabbed together with his cousin in an anti-illegal drug buy bust Thursday morning in the city’s major subdivision here. Col. Henry Dampal, the city’s chief of police, identified the suspects as Macbeth Ratunil Carretas, 44, of Nazareth, Cagayan de Oro  City. Carretas, reportedly an employee at the city hall’s Human Resource Department, was collared along with his cousin identified as Enesio Ratunil Villanueva, 40, of Ilaya, Carmen, Cagayan de Oro City. Dampal said that the police operatives disguised as buyers seized from the suspects 15 grams of illegal Shabu (Methamphetamine Hydrochloride) with an estimated street value of P102,000 and a .38 caliber revolver loaded with five live ammunition. According to Dampal, Ratunil, as a city government employee, was a high value target listed in the law enforcers ‘directorate intelligence. He said that the suspects were now under the police custodial facility pending the filing of appropriate charges  against them.

READ MORE
Improvised explosives destroyed in North Cotabato

April 7, 2021

MAKILALA, North Cotabato – The government has destroyed 48 units of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) they recovered during military operations against the communist rebels. Lieutenant Charles Ian Parel, Officer of the 39th Infantry Battalion (39thIB) said the destruction of IEDs were done in a far-flung area in Barangay Sinkatulan, this province. Parel said “this is the second batch of IEDs and other bomb-making materials we have destroyed from our operations against the NPA since last year.”  He said in February, they have also secured and blasted an IED disruptor as part of the initial batch of over 60 bombs seized during operations against the retreating group of the New People's Army (NPA) rebels. Some materials in bomb-making that were recently seized included explosive substances, PVC pipes, and cut round bars. These were used by the NPA as anti-personnel shield against the government forces. “We expect that more IEDs and firearms will be recovered by our troopers as the NPAs are dwindling in number in North Cotabato due to the series of surrenders of its members the past several months,” the military officer narrated. The disposal of recovered IEDs, and firearms are regular activities of the Philippine Army in the province to avoid re-used of said improvised bombs and to protect the citizens. The Philippine Government including the countries of New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia have listed the New People's Army rebels as a terrorist organization. - PNA  

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.