front page

Russia claims developing "first" coronavirus vaccine

August 12, 2020

RUSSIA (MDN International News Service) - No less than Russian President Vladimir Putin has claimed that his country developed the 'first vaccine' against the deadly coronavirus disease. The new development is considered by President Putin as a proof of its excellence in scientific reseach. Russia is said to be the first to grant regulatory approval to the new vaccine after several months of human testing. The recent discovery of this covid-19 vaccine, the president said, highlights the country's strong determination to win aginst hundreds of countries of the world that join the race to developed a safe and fit for human vaccine. Putin announced the new vaccine was developed by Gamaleya Institute "was safe and his daughter was even among the first to have tested the vaccine. “I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” confirms Putin, adding his daughter was among those who was tested of the vaccine. The discovery and confirmation of the vaccine to be effective paves the way for the injection of the vaccine to all Russians. This, even if the final stage of the clinical trials to test for safety and effectiveness is still ongoing.    Putin said that he is hoping the country would start mass production of the vaccine and distributed right away to all Russians. But the approval of the Health Ministry, clearly signals the president's strong support of the vaccine. This, even as there are other vaccines being developed in Russia.

READ MORE
Moreno vows to protect NorthMin's regional  hospital overwhelmed from surge of covid cases

August 11, 2020

"WE MUST PROTECT OUR BOAT," SAYS MAYOR MORENO Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Seriña Moreno yesterday vowed to protect Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC), the regional hospital in Northern Mindanao based in Cagayan de Oro City. The mayor said if NMMC is overwhelmed with covid-19 cases coming from Iligan City and other provinces in Northern Mindanao, the national government may takeover and it will be hard for everyone especially the City of Cagayan de Oro.     Rather than risk direct national government intervention similar to what happened in Cebu City, Mayor Oscar Moreno said he will order the City Health Office (CHO) to offer the city’s isolation units and temporary treatment management facility (TTMF) to house COVID-19 patients of Iligan City. During a press briefing on August 10, the mayor said: ‘We don’t want a situation in which the national government will have to send their people to Iligan City similar to what happened in Cebu City and even Zamboanga City. We want to avoid a surge in COVID-19 cases that would overwhelm Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC) and result in a region wide lockdown that would make life harder for the people of Cagayan de Oro.’  Recent updates of covid-19 cases shows Iligan City registered 27 COVID-19 positive cases from Aug. 3 to 9, up from 11 cases last Aug. 2.  The mayor has previously offered the city’s TTMF for use by the mayors of Misamis Oriental’s towns to help house some of their COVID-19 positive patients. In reiterating NMMC’s role as northern Mindanao’s COVID-19 referral hospital, Mayor Moreno said the NMMC’s critical care utilization rate or capacity to handle COVID-19 patients should not be overwhelmed beyond their current level.  "The NMMC is the region’s vessel and all of us are passengers in the same boat trying to reach the (shore of recovery). We must protect our boat," the mayor challenged everyone."

READ MORE
Misor eyes pandemic shelter to address surge in Covid-19

August 11, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Misamis Oriental Provincial Board Member Dexter Yasay yesterday cited the need to construct more pandemic shelter to address the possible surge of Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in the province. Misamis Oriental Provincial Board Member Dexter Yasay said the Moving Urban Poor Communities in Mindanao Towards Resilience (MOVE UP Mindanao) has proposed to give pandemic shelter worth P300,000 should the provincial government purchase Community Quarantine Prototypes. "We need to plan one-step ahead of the pandemic kay kinabuhi biya ni sa mga tawo ang atong gi protektahan," Yasay said. Misamis Oriental had already nearly dozen of Covid-positive cases most of them are teenagers. Yasay said the isolation facility will serve as part of coningency plan of the province should there will be surged on Covid-19 cases. He said Covid-19 cases continue to increase thus there is a need to have more isolatio facilites. He said the province had budget or Covid-19. "Anytime, we (the members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan) submit to the governor sa iyang mga request in line with the pandemic kung moingon siya nga mag re-align walay problema sa amoa kay we know nga kung mogasto si gobernador Bambi it is for the people and is for the prublic service," said Yasay.

READ MORE
Govt hospital wont accept patients from Barangay 35

August 11, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Despite repeated warnings from President Rodrigo Duterte, a government hospital in Cagayan de Oro City continues to refuse patients from Barangay 35, a barangay official lamented yesterday. Joe Ligtas, punong barangay of 35, said a number of patients were refused admission to JR Borja Hospital (city hospital). Ligtas said these patients are refused admission to the city hospital even if they are auffering  from minor health problems. He said representatives from Barangay 35 were just tld to directy send patients immediately to the Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC), also called provincial hospital. He said a certain Raymunda Bantilan who is reportedly suffering from Loose Bowel Movement (LBM) expired to hospital 3 days afte admission. She reportedly died of kidney failure. Another resident, said Ligtas, identified as a certain 47-year-old Pedring Cagape is now admitted in hospital after complaining of LBM. Ligtas said a number of Barangay 35 residents are suffering from dehydration. "Didto na lang daw namo i diretso sa provincial hospital para ma swab test dayon among pasyente," said Ligtas. At least five zones in Barangay 35 were locked down for 22 days after two of its residents were infected with Covid. Ligtas said 952 families in Barangay 35 were locked down for at least 22 days. In the meantine, Barangay 35 has launched massive clean up drive at Bitan-ag Creek as part of the barangay's anti-dengue campaign. "We employed dozens of residents as part of our Cash For Work program," said ligtas.

READ MORE
Iligan City imposes ‘quarantine passes’ as COVID-19 cases rise

August 10, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Iligan City Mayor Celso G. Regencia has required “quarantine passes” to limit the movement of residents and non-residents here effective Friday. The national Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) has placed Iligan City, 88 kilometers west of here, under Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ) effective June 1, 2020. In an Executive Order No. 91, series of 2020, Regencia encouraged to limit movements, external to home, unless it is for work or to buy necessities, because of the upsurge of COVID-19 through local transmission. For the past two weeks, the local health officials reported on 12 cases of positive COVID-19 patients who are currently quarantined in the city’s quarantine units. He said that EO No. 91 limits the movement of all residents and non-residents within this city by imposing the use of "Quarantine Passes (without color coding)." “Quarantine Passes” shall be used strictly for purchasing essential goods and services, unless there is a need to leave home due to some indispensable reasons and/or emergencies. Office work or industries are still permitted to operate, but workers and employees must have company identification card readily available when asked at any of the city’s checkpoints. As of August 7, 2020, the Department of Health (DOH) in Northern Mindanao, has reported on 24 COVID-19 positive cases in Iligan City. Of the 24 confirmed positive COVID-19 cases, 13 patients are on a quarantine status, five are still in the hospital, four has recovered while two patients expired.

READ MORE
Police officer nabbed in ‘buy bust,’ jailed in full uniform

August 10, 2020

CAGAYAN de Oro City--Police Master Sgt. Mariejo Molina Tejada was jailed, even in full uniform, for allegedly peddling illegal drugs during a “buy bust” in Opol, Misamis Oriental, the police reported Friday. Police operatives reportedly recovered suspected “shabu” (Methamphetamine Hydrochloride), worth P 100,000 in the position of the police officer. Tejada, a member of the Cagayan De Oro City Mobile Force Company, denied the allegation, saying the illegal drugs were reportedly “planted” by the police operatives. COCPO Police Chief Lt. Col. Henry Dampal said that the local police will not tolerate any police officers engaged in illegal activities and encouraged people to report immediately on any police officer engaged in illegal activities. Maj. Ian Borinaga, the station commander of the Opol Police Station, said that the arrest of Tejeda showed the sincerity of the police in carrying its mandated duty to rid the police organization of rogue men in uniform.

READ MORE

Subscribe Now!

Receive email updates from Mindanao Daily News.