By CRIS DIAZ
CAGAYAN de Oro City–Local officials had identified the source of the drinking water that led to the “diarrhea outbreak” that downed about 600 individuals and led to the death of two town folks in Medina, a coastal town 112-kilometer east of here, Medina town Mayor Donato Chan said Monday.
He said that only four patients had been admitted Sunday, apparently due to “diarrhea,” and only 32 patients remained confined in the Medina rural hospitals managed by the local Department of Health and the local government unit (LGU).
“The health officials were working double-time since the LGU declared the diarrhea outbreak Saturday when the diarrhea related patients swelled from 300 to about 600 and the death two diarrhea patients,” Chan said.
The fatalities were identified as Shim Poligrabes, 26, of Poblacion, Medina and Alfonso Magallanes, 71, also of Medina, who died while being treated in a hospital in Cagayan De Oro Friday.
Health officials reported that the “diarrhea outbreak” in Medina stated in July 1 during the town’s anniversary celebration after hundreds of people watching various events in the town reportedly drank the contaminated water distributed by the Medina Rural Waterworks System Cooperative (MERWASCO).
Chan said that health officials have identified one of the “spring water sources” in the village of Macau along the coastal area of Medina as the source of the contamination.
He said that a water analysis conducted by a private company in Medina showed that one of the spring water sources was contaminated with “e-coli bacteria” from animals and human waste.
The “e-coli bacteria” gained access to one of the spring water sources during high tide because the coastal water seeps into the spring water.
“We have ordered the closure of the contaminated spring water source until corrective measures are in place. The other spring source located in the same area in Macau was not contaminated because it is inaccessible by high tide waters,” Chan said.
He said that the provincial government of Misamis Oriental through the Provincial Health Office has been providing adequate medicines during the diarrhea outbreak.
Provincial governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano said Monday that the PHO was on standby and would take over the health management of Medina at any given notice.
“Actually, the report of Mayor Chan that only four patients were admitted Monday, was a relief because had the patients reached 10 persons, the PHO would immediately take over the health management of Medina,” Emano said.
Jul 27, 2017 0
Feb 19, 2016 0
Nov 18, 2015 0